The T-fal FF492D mini fryer is a great option for those who like to enjoy the occasional fried food. From french fries to donuts, this fryer can cook pretty much anything that is normally deep fried. Though this fryer isn’t meant to cook for large quantities, it’s just perfect for a few servings. In this T-fal FF492D Mini Deep Fryer Review, we will evaluate its key features, pros and cons so that you can decide if it is the right fryer for you.
It has a sleek silver and black design which complements any kitchen. The unit features a closable lid which prevents burns and messes. It has a compact size allowing for easy travel, provided there is electricity available. And with its lightweight design this unit is a fraction of the weight of other fryers in its category. It provides for a cooking temperature range of 300 degrees to 375 degrees.
Related: Best Deep Fryer and Buying Guide
T-fal FF492D Mini Deep Fryer Review
For a “mini” fryer, the FF492D holds just over a half pound of food in its 1.2 liter oil reservoir. That’s equal to two large servings of french fries from a fast food restaurant or a single boneless chicken breast.
Unlike several models in its category, the T-fal FF492D mini fryer has an adjustable thermostat, allowing you to select the cooking temperature for the type of food you are preparing. It also comes with an indicator light that notifies you when the food is ready based on the temperature you set. Cooking at the proper temperature will help avoid oil absorption and will present crispier, more flavorful food.
You can cook frozen food in the T-fal FF492D mini fryer. The oil temperature will take time to get back to the proper cooking temperature so it will likely take longer than cooking fresh food. This could be another cause for the inaccurate temperature.
Clean up is so simple with the T-fal’s non-stick interior and removable lid and basket. Both the lid and basket are dishwasher safe as well. And with its stainless steel exterior, the unit wipes down with ease.
This model’s compact design allows the unit to store out of sight or on your countertop without taking up too much room. Store used oil in the closed unit or in a separate container for later use. Learn more about how to store used oil from a deep fryer.
The T-fal FF492D comes equipped with a viewing window on the lid, which allows you to view the food as it cooks. The lid is also equipped with a one touch open for convenience as well as for safety.
This unit has side carrying handles, although you should never carry it with hot oil in it, and the handles have cool touch technology to prevent burning. It also features a fire safety magnetic breakaway power cord for added safety.
The T-fal FF492D weighs a mere 1.1 pounds, which is much lighter than other fryers of its kind. Other fryers similar to the T-fal FF492D weigh approximately four pounds.
This product comes with a one year limited warranty, which pertains to the quality of the product and that it is free of defects.
Tips for Using T-fal FF492D Mini Deep Fryer
- After each use and after the oil is cooled, the oil should be filtered. Filtering can be completed by pouring it through a skimmer, paper filter or a filtering pot. Doing so will prevent contamination to the oil. Check out if you can reuse oil after deep frying.
- Anytime the oil is used to cook fish it should be stored in a separate container from oil that is used to cook other foods.
- To keep the oil fresh, it should be changed after about 10 uses, and possibly more depending on if you are cooking fresh battered foods. If the oil begins to smell as you are frying it then it’s time to change it.
- Do not put food that is freshly battered directly into the basket as it will cause the batter to stick to the basket. Instead, first lower the basket into the oil then carefully drop the food in.
- Do not mix different oil types in your fryer they may have different boiling points.
- Should the easy view window fog up, simply wipe it with a cut potato or lemon before cooking.